by Portia Mbau and Lumai de Smidt
Serves 8 – 10
2C cake flour (or all-purpose flour)
1t bicarbonate of soda
1t baking powder
rind of 2 oranges, grated
½C walnuts, chopped
500ml Orange Sauce (page 78)
For decorating (optional)
¼C icing sugar
4T orange juice
walnuts (or nuts of your choice)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Oil a springform cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl until smooth.
- Gradually add the eggs and continue to beat until creamy.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour with bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add flour mixture to the cake mixture, alternating with buttermilk, a little at a time.
- Fold the orange rind and walnuts into the batter.
- Spoon into the cake tin, level the surface and bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and, while the cake is still warm and in the tin, pour over the Orange Sauce.
- Allow to cool in the springform tin, then remove.
- For the icing, if using, mix just enough orange juice into the icing sugar to make a slightly runny icing.
- Pour it over the cake and spread with a knife or the back of a spoon.
- Decorate with nuts and orange slices, and serve. If you’re not icing the cake, serve with vanilla ice cream.