April 24, 2021
by Richard Bosman
- You need a selection of cured meats. Prosciutto, coppa, bresaola, salami and chorizo are my go-to favourites but feel free to add in some cooked ham or pastrami.
- You need a paté or terrine. Duck liver, pork terrine or rillettes work well.
- You need some cheese – pick a variety – one hard, one soft and shavings of Parmigiana work well too.
- All the above is quite rich and you need some acidity to balance the meal. Pickled vegetables, olives, artichokes, capers, cornichons, sundried tomatoes and peppadews™ work well.
- Sweet things can work but don’t go overboard – instead of fig preserve thank piccalilli, Branston pickle or mostarda.
- Bread, get something decent. Lightly-toasted sourdough brushed with confit garlic is a winner.
- We eat with our eyes! Find a beautiful big platter and arrange the meats, cheese and pickles with some height and try to be creative. Rolling up meat is forbidden (it’s like listening to Milli Vanilli).