by chef Daniel Payne of View
2C canola oil
zest of 1 lemon
zest of 1 orange
50g chopped dill
250g Norwegian salmon fillet
skin from the salmon fillet
2C canola oil for frying
- Preheat oven to 47°C. Place oil in an ovenproof dish and put it in the oven to heat through.
- In a food processor blend the salt, sugar, lemon and orange zest and dill.
- Remove the skin from the salmon and portion into four 62g portions.
- Place salmon portions into the cure mixture and allow to cure in the refrigerator for 45 minutes.
- After curing, remove any excess cure mixture from the salmon portions and allow salmon to reach room temperature. Place salmon in the preheated oil and confit for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes remove from oven and allow the salmon to cool in the oil.
- Scrape all the flesh from the salmon skin then place the skin between grease-proof paper.
- Sandwich the skin between two oven trays.
- Place in the oven at 180°C for 16 minutes and allow to dehydrate.
- Once dehydrated allow to cool.
- In a pot add oil and allow to reach 180°
- Put the dehydrated salmon skin in the hot oil.
- It’s ready when it puffs up and expands, usually 5 seconds.
Garnish with charred orange, lime and grapefruit, granadilla, labneh, fennel flowers, pansies, dill fronds and salmon roe.