by chef Christiaan Campbell of The Werf
100g coarse salt
30g lemon zest
20ml fennel seeds
1kg kingklip fillet
2C white wine vinegar
1 litre water
10g fennel and coriander seeds
1 bay leaf
½ handful of thyme
100g fennel stalk, sliced
100g red onions, sliced
100g cucumber, diced
100g rainbow carrots, shaved
thumb thick ginger, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, creamed
50ml pickled red onion, chopped
50ml kimchi, chopped
100ml olive oilhandful fresh coriander, chopped
200ml Rozendal fynbos vinegar
- Briefly blend together coarse salt, sugar, spices and zest. Salt must still be coarse.
- Clean and pin bone the fillet.
- Cover entire fillet with the salt and leave to cure for 30 minutes. Rinse off the salt.
- Thinly slice the fish.
- Bring everything to a boil then allow to cool down before using the liquid.
- In a sterilised jar, cover vegetables separately with the pickling liquid and let it stand for two days to have maximum flavour.
- Whip all the ingredients together to make a vinaigrette.
- Mix the sliced fish and pickled vegetables together with the vinaigrette and serve.