by chef Jason Kosmas of The Pot Luck Club
1 white onion, sliced
50ml vegetable oil
1T curry powder
1t ground allspice
2t coriander seeds
1 bay leaf
1t chilli flakes
1 cinnamon stick
1t cumin seeds
35g castor sugar
200ml brown spirit vinegar
fresh coriander seeds
fresh coriander and coriander flowers
500g firm white fish (seabass, kingklip, cob, yellowtail)
8g mint leaves
1 medium shallot, peeled and sliced
olive oil to dress
- Sweat the onions until soft and translucent with the oil and salt for 10 minutes on a medium heat. Be careful not to colour the onion.
- Add the spices and cook for 3 minutes followed by the sugar, vinegar and water.
- Bring up to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Portion the fish into roughly 125g pieces.
- Pan fry in a hot pan until the skin goes crispy, flip over and finish cooking.
Serve the fish alongside the pickle and garnish with mint leaves, coriander and sliced shallots.