by Gourmet Guide Jenny Handley
4 pears, chopped
6 sprigs thyme
3 star anise
1 stick cinnamon
5 g cardamom pods
50 ml water
70 g crystalised ginger, finely chopped
100 g butter
350 ml sugar
2 C flour
2 t baking powder
1 t ground cardamom
½ C red wine
salt to taste
1 C cream
75 ml castor sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Combine all ingredients except for ginger for stewed pears in a pot and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, remove from heat and allow to cool. Remove aromatics, but don’t throw away.
- Thinly slice pears on a mandolin. Place slices on the bottom of a 24cm cake tin.
- Add butter and sugar to a mixer and cream for 10 minutes.
- Add eggs, flour, baking powder, cardamom, red wine and salt, and mix slowly until combined.
- Pour batter over the thinly layered pears and bake for 35 – 40 minutes.
- While the cake bakes, in a pot, on a low heat, combine cream, castor sugar and herbs from the stewed pears. Allow to simmer but do not boil. Strain but keep herbs for decoration.
- Remove cake from oven and pour glaze over while hot.
- Leave to cool. Flip over to serving plate and decorate with sliced pears and herbs.