by chef Marlene van der Westhuizen
75ml extra virgin olive oil
2kg oxtail, cut in portions
2C white wine
6 shallots, peeled and chopped
3 carrots, peeled and sliced in pennies
2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
800ml canned tomatoes
zest of half an orange
2 bay leaves
2 cinnamon sticks
1 star anise
1L chicken stock
salt and pepper
- Using a large casserole, heat the olive oil and the butter, add the oxtail and fry carefully on all sides.
- Remove the meat and deglaze the pan with a little of the white wine. Allow the alcohol to evaporate before adding the shallots, carrot and garlic. Stir and cook all the ingredients together for about 6 minutes.
- Return all the meat to the casserole and pour the rest of the wine over the meat.
- Bring to a gentle boil, allowing the alcohol to evaporate, before adding the tomatoes, bouquet garni, orange zest, bay leaves, cinnamon and star anise.
- Add the stock and simmer gently until tender. *
- Taste and season accordingly before serving with fresh crusty bread or creamy polenta.
* You can add a little water when needed.