30 ml butter
250 g button mushrooms, sliced
1 small garlic clove, finely grated (optional)
300 g cauliflower, sliced
1 C cream
1 C grated mature cheddar cheese, plus more for serving
salt and pepper, to taste
a handful of chives, finely chopped
- Heat the butter in a medium-sized pot over high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and fry until they start to soften (don’t let them get too dark, and set a few aside at this point for garnish at the end).
- Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute, then add the cauliflower and cream. Cover and bring to a simmer, taking care not to let it boil over.
- Let it cook for about 5 to 7 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender.
- Transfer to a blender, then blend until very smooth. Add the cheese and season to taste.
- Serve hot, topped with more cheese, a few of the saved mushrooms, and scattered chives.