by The South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association
Serves 6 – 8
2 T butter, plus extra for greasing
400 g mixed cultivated mushrooms, sliced (button, portabellini or portabello)
50 g asparagus, sliced
50 g tenderstem broccoli, sliced
12 XL free-range eggs
1 C Greek-style plain yoghurt
1 ½ C grated hard cheese (mature cheddar, havarti & boerenkaas work well)
4 spring onions, sliced
1 t mixed dried herbs
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 165˚C.
- Butter and line a 22cm springform pan or tart tin.
- Heat the butter in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- When melted and foamy, add the mushrooms and cook until golden brown. Season.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the eggs and yoghurt together.
- Add in the cheese, spring onions, herbs and season well.
- Place cooked mushrooms, asparagus and broccoli into your prepared tin.
- Pour over the egg mixture and make sure everything is evenly distributed.
- Bake in the oven for about 1 hour until the egg is set.
- Allow to cool slightly before removing from the spring form tin or slicing straight out of the baking dish. Serve with a crisp green salad on the side.