by chef Nic van Wyk of Haute Cabriere
2x 100g plain goats’ cheese
250g Kataifi pastry
50ml honey (and a little extra)
50ml white balsamic vinegar
100ml good olive oil
12 baby-red beetroots
2 candy beetroot
100g baby salad leaves
salt and pepper
oil for frying
- Cut each of the goats’ cheese into 4 logs.
- Wrap the quarters in Kataifi pastry by winding a 1cm diameter bunch around the goats’ cheese, ensuring all the cheese is covered.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- This next step can wait until the vinaigrette and beetroot is ready. Fry the wrapped goats’ cheese logs until golden brown, add a small squeeze of honey on each one and leave on kitchen paper to drain any excess oil.
- Warm 50ml honey, then add the balsamic vinegar and take off the heat.
- Add the olive oil a little at a time while whisking, once emulsified, season with salt and pepper.
- Boil the red beetroot in salted water until soft.
- While warm remove the skin and cut in quarters, work fast so the beetroot stays warm when adding the vinaigrette.
- Dress with the vinaigrette and leave to stand for at least 30 minutes.
- Slice the candy beetroot as thin as possible on a mandolin or slicer.
- Place the baby leaves, baby beetroot and the candy beets in a bowl and add some vinaigrette, toss.
Place the baby leaves down from the ‘salad’ mixture, put the goats’ cheese on top, and place the red and candy beetroot around.