by chef James Gaag of La Colombe
1kg cleaned veal sweetbreads, soaked
2 star anise
1 sprig rosemary
2 sprigs thyme
10 black peppercorns
1 juniper berry
1t coriander seeds
1 Wagyu sirloin steak, or any high quality local beef, cut into loins and seasoned well
3 cloves garlic
5cm thumb ginger
6 sticks lemongrass, crushed
1 stick cinnamon
1 star anise
250ml light soy, green lid only
50g treacle sugar
2C tomato sauce,
150ml hoisin sauce
2 chipotle peppers
1kg frozen corn
salt to taste
500g crème fraîche
1 small onion, sliced
1 clove garlic
150g chopped coriander
zest and juice of 1 lime
2 leaves gelatine
140g white miso paste
1t sambal oelek
100ml rice wine vinegar
300ml canola oil
150ml light soy sauce
30g peeled ginger root
1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 bunch leeks, grilled
baby radishes, slices
confit lemon, julienne
corn dust (pulp from the corn purée, dehydrated and blended)
baby sweetcorn in the husk, blanched and braaied
- Place all the ingredients into a vacuum bag and sous vide at 75°C for 45 minutes.
- Chill completely and remove the membranes and sinew before portioning.
- Sweat the chopped garlic, ginger, lemongrass, cinnamon and star anise.
- Add the sake, mirin and reduce.
- Add the soy sauce, treacle, honey and reduce by half.
- Add the tomato sauce, hoisin and chipotle and cook on a low heat until thickened.
- Combine corn and butter in a pan, wrap top in clingfilm and steam/sweat the corn until it’s completely soft and has lost most of its moisture.
- Remove lid/clingfilm and reduce rapidly with the cream until thick.
- Blend to a smooth purée and season, pass and set aside.
- Heat the buttermilk and crème fraîche with the onion and garlic and allow to infuse.
- Strain whilst still hot, blend this mixture with the coriander, lime, seasoning and gelatine and pass through a sieve.
- Chill completely and fill into an espuma gun and charge twice.
- Combine the miso, ponzu, sambal and rice vinegar in a blender and slowly emulsify in the canola oil.
- Combine all the ingredients in a pot and reduce very slowly until fragrant and syrupy.
To finish off
- Dust the sweetbreads in seasoned flour and crisp in a hot pan with clarified butter.
- Once crisp, glaze liberally in the chipotle glaze and slice in half.
- Sear the Wagyu in a ripping hot pan after seasoning well.
- Slice thickly and dress with miso dressing.
- Arrange both the sweetbreads and the Wagyu attractively on a plate, dot with sweetcorn purée, miso dressing and drizzle with teriyaki.
- Finally, espuma on the coriander emulsion.
- The baby corn is brushed with more of the dressing, and sprinkled with popcorn, sweetcorn powder and chopped coriander and served alongside.
- Garnish the plate with micro herbs, sliced radishes and confit lemon.