by Gourmet Guide, Jenny Handley
50 ml coconut oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large or two small butternuts, peeled and cubed
1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 t leaf masala
1 t cumin seeds
1 thumb ginger, peeled and chopped
1 large orange, zest removed, and halved
100 ml feta brine
2 C vegetable stock
1 C milk
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add onion and caramelise.
- Add garlic, butternut, sweet potato, masala, cumin, ginger, orange halves and zest and stir well.
- Add the brine and stock, and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 30 minutes with the lid on.
- Add the milk and season. Taste before seasoning as the brine is very salty.
- Remove the orange skins, then scoop out the flesh and add to the soup.
- Use a hand-held blender to blitz.
- Serve piping hot in cups or bowls, garnished with a few coriander leaves and/or a dash of sesame oil.