by Gourmet Guide Jenny Handley
Serves 8 – 10
1 ripe avocado
olive oil to make up 100g
200 g cake flour
1.5 t baking powder
2 T water
2 C cooked broccoli or 300g frozen peas
freshly-ground black pepper
100 g cheddar cheese, grated
6 XL eggs
150 g smoked salmon
100 g smooth cottage cheese
3 T grated horseradish
light, frothy greenery for garnishing – fresh herbs like dill, or pea shoots
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Mash the avo and mix with the oil in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix the water in with a pastry knife.
- Turn out onto a lightly-floured board, and knead.
- Leave, covered, for ½ hour to relax.
- Roll out to about ½cm thick on a lightly-floured board.
- Turn back over your rolling pin to place over a 32cm loose-bottomed flan tin.
- Allow an overhang – this will cement the pastry and prevent the need for baking blind.
- Prick holes in the bottom of the pastry.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- While the pastry is cooking whisk or blitz the filling ingredients together.
- Pour into the warm pastry case and bake for a further 10 to 12 minutes.
- Tear the salmon into strips and gently arrange on the tart.
- Top with capers, horseradish cream and shoots/herbs.