by chef Kerry Kilpin of Steenberg Wine Farm
300 g beef fillet
1 red chilli, finely chopped
2 spring onions, finely chopped
50 g wild rocket
150 g shimeji mushrooms
1 lime, cut into wedges
50 ml olive oil
25 ml lemon juice
25 ml soya sauce
1 t sugar
1 egg yolk
½ C sunflower oil
1 t truffle oil
2 t red wine vinegar
2 t water
1 t hot English mustard
- Combine olive oil, lemon juice, soya sauce and sugar. Mix well.
- Divide in half. Pour half over the mushrooms and allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Place egg yolk, truffle oil, red wine vinegar, water, mustard and a pinch of salt in a food processor.
- While the food processor is running slowly, add sunflower oil to form an emulsion. The mixture will slowly start to thicken as you add the oil.
- Seasin with salt, taste for acidity. You may want to add a little more vinegar.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- In a hot pan, sear the meat on each side for 1 minute. Place in the fridge and allow to cool.
- Char the corn on an open flame for 1 minute on each side. You want the corn to turn slightly black but not completely burned. Allow to cool and slice off the cob.
- Slice the beef as thinly as you can and lay flat over a large platter. Cover the entire surface of the platter with the slices of beef.
- Sprinkle the meat with charred corn, chilli and spring onions.
- Season the meat with the remaining vinaigrette.
- Drizzle the truffle mayo over the meat. Garnish with marinated mushrooms and wild rocket.
- Serve with sliced lime wedges.